LIFESTYLE AND BOOKS

With Malice by Eileen Cook

|





GoodReads Description

For fans of We Were Liars and The Girl on the Train comes a chilling, addictive, compulsive read about a teenage girl who wakes up in a hospital bed and cannot remember the last six weeks of her life, including the accident that killed her best friend--only what if the accident wasn't an accident?

Eighteen-year-old Jill Charron wakes up in a hospital room, leg in a cast, stitches in her face and a big blank canvas where the last 6 weeks should be. She comes to discover she was involved in a fatal accident while on a school trip in Italy three days previous but was jetted home by her affluent father in order to receive quality care. Care that includes a lawyer. And a press team. Because maybe the accident...wasn't an accident. Wondering not just what happened but what she did, Jill tries to piece together the events of the past six weeks before she loses her thin hold on her once-perfect life.


Bryan's Experience

I swear I can still hear my heart pounding in my ears.
''Feelings aren't wrong. They just are''

What a fascinating read ! Really, every time I'm more a fan of psychological thrilles but let's face it, who would not like to stay in the air while reading a book? With Malice  gave me panic attacks, could not sleep and of course I said the reader's biggest lie every time I was reading: one more chapter and then sleep. I finished the book in two days because the story really hooked up to me and I think barely made a pause to eate while reading. The book focuses on Jill Charron, who I felt sympathy from the first paragraph that I read it, and I loved her very Robert Lagdon input at the beginning of the book. I must admit to a certain extent its insistence on being the perfect friend annoyed me, but only a little. Jill is trying to remember what happened in the accident and what was the trigger that caused all the problems that this hauling her. Accused of something that she does not remember, and have to deal with her own mind to know what is true and what is just and invent of her brain.
''It doesn't matter what's true, what matters is what people believe''



The relationship between Jill and Simone seemed a bit over-acted, and when Jill talks about Simone implied that was a bit hypocritical sometimes. And thus we see morbidity media before the event Jill and dig all they want their friendship, and as the media are a big influence on people when taking a case or to influence others to believe in certain respects.The story never loses the thread and rhythm. I remained fully engaged from start to finish. The plot is very well structured; the atmosphere, arguments, plot twist and other components made this book one of my favorites of the year.
''It's normal for people to get angry. Maybe someone hurts us or disappoints us, and our response is to be upset. Now, there are people who take it too far. And in those cases, often what's happening is that they're confusing fear with anger. They don't want to let themselves be scared, so they lash out''


I liked the handling of romance, because without that touch a lot of history would not have made sense, as the author takes the romance to cause real conflict definitely hooked me instantly. Nico was a great complement on the development. Character development is great but not that consistent, The most developed characters are Jill and Simone but besides hers I think the other ones are very linear, but everyone has a role that complements the story line.The writer uses the flashbacks on a very diligent way since they are well placed and each of them brings a big question to history. Although sometimes they are a bit confusing and leave you begging for more. The ending was one of my favorite things ever: is concise, explains and describes everything in a way that leaves you completely satisfied.
''I think it is okay to be disappointed by things. It doesn't matter if things don't work out exactly as we want. The important thing is that we keep trying and keep shooting for the ideal''

I can not but praise Eileen Cook style and narrative skills. This is the first book I read of her but certainly am looking for read more of this wonderful autor.The truth is that the criticism is not wrong, she have certain dyes with E. Lockhart and Hawkins but her writing goes high with its intriguing and explosive style.A highly recommended read for those who enjoy Psychological thrillers and have no desire to sleep a few nights. Written by an author who truly dominates the genre.



Note: This book was a courtesy of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt but that does not affect my review and thoughts about it.

Amazon | B&N 
Be First to Post Comment !
Publicar un comentario

Post Signature

Post Signature